About Me

My Photo
C Fangerow
My feet are firmly planted with one in England and the other in California.
View my complete profile
Monday 26 April 2010

postheadericon Final Decision

26 April

I will have a modified radical mastectomy of the left breast and removal of the axillary lymph nodes for dissection, final decision. (click here for more info on the importance of axillary lymph node dissection). I will also have a tissue expander implanted under the chest muscle so that I can eventually have the breast reconstructed with an implant.

The decision to go with mastectomy rather than just having the lump removed is a fairly complex one which I am just beginning to understand myself. But the bottom line for me is that since we already know the cancer has become invasive (left the tumor site and entered the lymphatic system), there is a very high chance the lymph nodes are now involved. With a lumpectomy the sentinel (first in line) lymph nodes are often removed but if they show involvement it usually means going back in to get more lymph nodes. Also, because my tumor mass had gotten so much larger after biopsy the surgeon wanted me to undergo chemotherapy first to shrink it if I chose lumpectomy. When I balanced all the scenarios out it didn't seem worth it to go that route so it's off with the breast and a new one in its place (eventually).

Surgery date has been approved for Friday, 30 April. I just want to get this thing out of my body!!!!

Additional breast reconstruction links (be warned, these links have very graphic before and after photos of breast reconstructions.) :
http://www.smartplasticsurgery.com/reconstruction/photos.html
http://www.breastreconstruction.org

0 comments:

Purchase a Human Tribe Tag

Show you support a Cancer patient when you purchase a Human Tribe Tag. 75% of the purchase price will be sent directly to the beneficiary. Tribe-badge-c USA shipping only at this time.

PayPal Donation Link

If you would like to help with some of the many expenses which are not covered by insurance you are invited to make a small donation.

Make a donation in British ££:

Make a donation in US $$:

Followers