About Me

My Photo
C Fangerow
My feet are firmly planted with one in England and the other in California.
View my complete profile
Saturday 1 May 2010

postheadericon Painless in Santa Cruz

The best thing about having surgery is that you remember absolutely nothing. And, when consciousness begins to return it is at best sketchy. This is why I have no recollection of how I got from recovery to my room.

A private room... small, and with a shared toilet, but private. And with a view over a lovely garden! And flowers from Peter on the shelf. No pain due to copious quantities of morphine. I was painless with no worries. A phone call from my brother resulted in a few incoherent sentences about the flowers.

The drug induced fog began to lift slightly somewhere around 5:45 pm. Still no pain but I was becoming more aware and cogent... and feeling a bit peckish, or so I thought.

Dominican Hospital of Santa Cruz is a lovely hospital with a high quality professional staff full of kind and considerate people. Unfortunately their food is.... well let's just say... it sucks. It was probably to my advantage that I could not eat more than a few bites because what little I did eat stayed with me the rest of the night in the form of acid reflux. No pain from my surgery but I was miserable and unable to sleep until nearly 5am.

7 am: Acid reflux gone but now the pain began to settle in. And I needed the toilet but I was hooked up to so many lines and tubes I was afraid to move. A call for the nurse revealed I was not to use the toilet but had to instead use the bedside commode or a bedpan.

I might be able to spill my guts about my feelings, my illness, my hopes and dreams, but I do not use a bedside commode or a bedpan! Trying telling that one to your nurse and see who wins the argument. To make matters worse the nurse had to measure my "output" and post it not on a nice private chart but on a big white board over my bed. I had to go through this indignity twice before I was allowed to use a proper toilet. GRRRRRRRR!!!

0 comments:

Purchase a Human Tribe Tag

Show you support a Cancer patient when you purchase a Human Tribe Tag. 75% of the purchase price will be sent directly to the beneficiary. Tribe-badge-c USA shipping only at this time.

PayPal Donation Link

If you would like to help with some of the many expenses which are not covered by insurance you are invited to make a small donation.

Make a donation in British ££:

Make a donation in US $$:

Followers